11.05.2008

There was a riot on the streets - tell me, where were you?

Rodney King.
On March 3, 1991, a black man was pulled over for driving recklessly. Twenty-six year-old Rodney King was then beaten by 4 Los Angeles police officers. The encounter was partially video taped by a civilian and was ultimately aired on several national networks. Though charges were brought against the officers, they were dropped on April 29, 1992. In an act of retaliation, thousands of Los Angeles citizens rioted.

April 29, 1992.
In 1992 the band Sublime wrote the song
"April 29, 1992 (Miami)" in reference to the LA riots.

"April 26th, 1992,there was a riot on the streets,tell me where were you?You were sittin' home watchin' your TV, while I was paticipatin' in some anarchy."

Then & WOW.
So, what's happened to Rodney King since he was beaten? He was awarded$3.8 million in a civil suit against the city of Los Angeles and others. Since then, he has been arrested for several minor offenses. Currently, you can see Rodney King struggle with addiction on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew" on VH1. We're so proud of you, Rodney. You too, LA.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the sublime quotes you have going there. They are a great band. Almost every song they have is original and unique. Plus, there is alot of meaning in their music. Especially the song you quoted which has to do with the Rodney King riots. That is interesting that you referenced that song because it is one of my favorites.

JJRegan said...

Thanks! It's one of my favorite Sublime songs as well. I don't want to make my blog too obscene, but the lyrics that I think applied most to the topic were "But if you look at the streets it wasn't about Rodney King. It's bout this fucked up situation and these fucked up police. It's about coming up and staying on top, and screamin' 187 on a mother fuckin' cop. It's not written on the paper it's on the wall."

On a sidenote, it's always bothered me that at the beginning of the song he sings "April 26, 1992." lol.

Lisa said...

I have been watching the Celebrity Rehab with Rodney King. I thought it was really interesting to hear that he knew what was coming for him when he finally stopped because that was the norm during that time. He also said that he holds no grudge against the police from the incident, even though it is still the first thing he thinks about when he wakes up and it is still affecting his life.

It is amazing to know that because this video was seen by so many people and they were influenced by it, they rioted and tried to change the way people were treated.

JJRegan said...

I haven't watched the show, I just know that he's on it. It's interesting that he doesn't hold a grudge - if you've seen the footage, then you know that the beating was brutal. I don't think that I would be able to say the same thing if I had ever been in the same situation.